Black History Month celebrates the contributions that Black Americans have made to American history and is meant to deepen the understanding of our Nation’s past. The Chicago Red Stars will be participating in this month-long celebration across our channels which will culminate in an exciting virtual event at the end of February. Here’s a sampling of what you can expect:
- Our weekly #CRSLearns will be geared towards Black History Month (think things like virtual collections from the National Museum of African American History & Culture, relevant podcasts, and more).
- Our weekly #MyKindOfPeople will recognize lesser-known heroes from the Civil Rights Movement.
- We’re introducing #TakeoverTuesday where local Black activists, businesses, and non-profits will be taking over our Instagram stories for the day.
- Our My Kind of Podcast episode for the month will feature a discussion with Black Fires and Sarah Gorden about foundings, futures, and how we continue to push forward in the fight against systemic racism. Submit your questions for our guests here.
- The month culminates with a virtual event where we’ll formally rename Press Row at SeatGeek Stadium in honor and memory of Ida B. Wells – more details coming soon!
We look forward to engaging and celebrating with all of you as we honor Black History Month.