CHICAGO – The Chicago Red Stars today announced their 2014 preseason roster, welcoming amongst 21 players key Red Stars returnees and former collegiate and U.S. Youth soccer standouts.
Red Stars training camp kicked off with early morning physicals on Monday, followed by a training session at the Red Stars official indoor training facility partner, the Darien SportsPlex in Darien, Ill., and a team yoga session at Yoga By Degrees. The team’s Tuesday schedule has the squad training at Darien SportsPlex for a morning and afternoon session, and ending the day with team lifting in Oakbrook, Illinois.
“The goal this week is to get the players back into form and have them find their rhythm,” said Red Stars Head Coach Rory Dames. “ This week sets the foundation to build off of for the next month. I expect to see a steady improvement from session to session.”
Tomorrow the team trains from 10am-12pm at Darien SportsPlex before continuing with two-a-days for the remainder of the week.
The Chicago Red Stars open their preseason schedule against National Women’s Soccer League Midwest rival FC Kansas City on March 22 in Fenton, Missouri. The Red Stars then travel to the University of Notre Dame to take on the Fighting Irish on April 2 at 6pm CT. On April 6, the team will finish their exhibition schedule at the Village of Lisle Benedictine University Sports Complex in round-robin matches against DePaul University and Oakland University. Following the match, the team will host a season ticket-holder Meet-the-Team BBQ.
The Red Stars open NWSL regular play on April 19 against Abby Wambach and Western NY Flash in a Toyota Park doubleheader with the Chicago Fire at 5pm. For tickets, please visit chicagoredstars.com/tickets or call 773.697.8699.
Training Camp Notes:
Forwards: Jennifer Hoy (Chicago Red Stars), Hayley Brock (University of Maryland), Micaela Castain (Washington State), Florence Dadson (Robert Morris University), Annie Worden (Fordham University)
Midfielders: Zakiya Bywaters (Chicago Red Stars), Lori Chalupny (Chicago Red Stars), Alyssa Mautz (Chicago Red Stars), Julianne Sitch (Chicago Red Stars), Vanessa DiBernardo (University of Illinois), Kelly McCloskey (University of San Diego), Niki Read (University of Illinois)
Defenders: Taryn Hemmings (Chicago Red Stars), Jackie Santacaterina (Chicago Red Stars), Michelle Wenino (Chicago Red Stars), Amy LePeilbet (Chicago Red Stars), Jessy Battelli (University of Denver), Heather Cooke (Loyola University – MD), Samantha Johnson (University of Southern California), Kecia Morway (Colorado College)
Goalkeepers: Taylor Vancil (Chicago Red Stars), Clara Kridler (Purdue University)
Head Coach: Rory Dames
First Assistant Coach: Trae Manny
Second Assistant Coach: Christian Lavers
Head Athletic Trainer: Cherlyne Carlos, ATC, NASM-PES
Physical Therapist: Bria Wanzung, PT/ATC
Team Doctor: Pietro Tonino, MD
Team Chiropractor: Dr. Robert Smith
General Manager: Alyse LaHue
– Canadian internationals Karina LeBlanc, Rachel Quon, and Adriana Leon will arrive to Chicago next week after playing in the Cyprus Cup
– Newly signed first round draft pick Julie Johnston will arrive to camp on Monday, March 17 after finishing midterms at Santa Clara University.
– U.S. Women’s National team forward Christen Press will join the team in June after finishing her Swedish league season with Tyreso, while Canadian international Melissa Tancredi will join the Red Stars in June after completing chiropractic school.
– Midfielder Leslie Osborne, who was originally expected at camp this season, announced her retirement from professional soccer earlier this week on Monday, March 10.
– Red Stars midfielder Shannon Boxx, currently on maternity leave, will miss all of 2014 training camp. She is expected to rejoin the squad once cleared by team physicians.
"*" indicates required fields