The Chicago Red Stars are on the road tonight to take on Portland Thorns FC at Providence Park (5:00 p.m. CT; NBC Sports Chicago). Here is the Starting XI, presented by Magellan:
- Emily Boyd is starting in her fifth game this season in goal. The goalkeeper has compiled a near 70% save percentage this season.
- Defender Casey Short is earning her 58th appearance for Chicago with the start tonight. Short has earned NWSL Team of the Month honors in April and May for her strong play on the outside flanks.
- Katie Naughton is one of just two players to start every game for Chicago this season. The central defender just earned 5,400 career minutes and leads the team in minutes in 2019 with 612.
- Sarah Gorden has played in all four positions on the backline this season and continues to prove her speed as she’s made 13 and has and 82% success rate on tackles.
- Arin Wright is inching closer to the “100 club” as she appears in her 92nd NWSL game tonight. Wright, previously Gilliland, has earned 10 assists in her career.
- Midfielder Nikki Stanton earns her 67th NWSL appearance with the start for Chicago today. The hard-fought midfielder has lost just one tackle this year, earning a 92.3% success rate. In the opponent’s half Stanton has a passing accuracy of 75%.
- The Red Stars captain, Vanessa DiBernardo, just broke 8,000 career minutes in the NWSL, all with the Red Stars. The central midfielder has a staggering 88% passing accuracy in the Red Stars half.
- Michele Vasconcelos earns her fourth start of 2019. This will mark the young midfielders 27th appearance for the Red Stars.
- Danielle Colaprico returns to the lineup after missing last week’s game due to injury. The midfielder is earning her 94th NWSL appearance tonight and has earned four goals and seven assists in her career.
- Japanese international Yuki Nagasato has started in all matches for Chicago this season. The veteran attacker has secured three assists for the Red Stars, while adding 11 key passes.
- Forward Katie Johnson earns her fifth start for Chicago and sixth overall appearance. Johnson has eight total shots in 2019.
- Megan Hinz is available as backup in the goalkeeper position, while Maria Sanchez, Brooke Elby, Kayla Sharples, Hannah Davison, Jenna Szcesny and Zoey Goralski are available off the bench. Goalkeeper AJ Jahansouz did not travel due to injury.