Three goals sink Red Stars at Providence Park
CHICAGO – Three goals from the Portland Thorns doom the Chicago Red Stars in the hosts’ first game at Providence Park this season. Simone Charley and Midge Purce combined for two Portland goals in four minutes before Marissa Everett scored the team’s third.
4’ Portland wins a header that’s brought down in the 18-yard box at the feet of Purce, but her shot ricochets off the crossbar.
18’ DiBernardo gets space to settle and fires a shot from distance that rises just above the goal.
20’ DiBernardo passes the ball to Vasconcelos who races to beat defenders to the ball. She nearly gets the shot off, but Portland’s last-ditch effort to block the ball works and the ball goes out for a corner kick.
27’ Charley is able to find Purce who beat the defense to the ball and scores the opening goal.
31’ Charley crosses the ball to Purce who puts the ball in the back of the net for the hosts.
46’ Charley nearly adds a goal of her own, but the header is wide of the goal.
56’ Chicago is centimeters away from scoring. Danielle Colapricos’s corner finds Arin Wright, who rises above everyone to connect with a header, but the ball hits off the post.
81’ Wright connects with another header off a corner kick, but the ball goes right to the goalkeeper.
85’ Portland gets a third as Marissa Everett scores a goal following a free kick.
87’ DiBernardo crosses the ball into the box that bounces off players before it lands at the feet of Yuki Nagasato. The Japanese international fires a shot that’s blocked by Meghan Klingenberg.
- Arin Wright led the team with 3 shots on target and was second on the team with 8 ariel duels won.
- The Red Stars held 59.2% of the possession throughout the entire game. Chicago maintained 66.6% of the possession in the second half.
- Chicago outshot Portland 28-9, but could not find the back of the net. The Red Stars also received 10 corner kicks compared to zero for the Thorns.
- Kayla Sharples made her NWSL debut when she came on in the 80th minute. The Northwestern alumn was selected in the third round of the 2019 NWSL College Draft by Chicago.
- Chicago’s 28 shots in the game was a season-high for the 2019 season.
- Vanessa DiBernardo, Yuki Nagasato, Katie Naughton and Michele Vasconcelos have played in all eight games for the Red Stars this campaign.
The league will partake in an international break as the FIFA Women’s World Cup kicks off. Chicago returns home to take on Reign FC on Sunday, June 23 at SeatGeek Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 5 pm C.T.
Portland Thorns vs Chicago Red Stars
June 2, 2019
Providence Park (Portland, OR)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Thorns 2 1 0
Chicago Red Stars 0 0 0
POR: Midge Purce (27’) (asst. Simone Charley)
POR: Midge Purce (31’) (asst. Simone Charley)
POR: Marissa Everett (85’) (asst. Meghan Klingenberg)
POR: Yellow Card: Ball (35’)
CHI: Yellow Card: Short (66’)
CHI Yellow Card: Sharples (90 +4’)
POR: GK Eclerstrom, D Ball, D Reynolds, D Menges ©, D Klingenberg, M Salem, (Boureille 44’) M Seiler, M Purce (Lussi 68’), F Brynjarsdottir, F Crnogorcevic, F Charley (Everett 78’)
CHI: GK Boyd, D Short, D Naughton (Elby 84’), D Gorden, D Wright, M Stanton, M Colaprico, M DiBernardo ©, F Vasconcelos (Sanchez 76’), F Nagasato, F Johnson (Sharples 80’)
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial.