CHICAGO – Casey Short was the hero for the Chicago Red Stars on Wednesday night against the Orlando Pride. In the final minute of play, the defender whipped a header into the back of the net and gave Chicago a 1-0 victory on the road.
Short’s second goal of the season keeps Chicago third in the NWSL standings. Goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher kept her second-consecutive clean sheet and her fifth of 2019. She made history tonight, becoming the second goalkeeper ever to play 10,000 minutes.
21′ Chicago’s offense goes on the attack early. After earning a couple of corners, Morgan Brian gets her head to the ball fires a shot but the ball goes just wide.
26’ Katie Johnson with a rocket. She fires a fantastic long-distance strike and forces Ashlyn Harris to make a save.
56′ Sam Kerr makes a great touch to create some space and gets a shot off inside the box, but again Harris is able to make a save.
64’ Following a tackle, Katie Johnson is issued a second yellow card, and subsequently, a red card.
72′ Danielle Colaprico shoots her shot. The midfielder does a great job to control the ball down and fire a volley that forces another Harris save.
74′ Kerr comes close again. A great run allows her to beat all the Orlando defenders and get a one-on-one chance, but the shot is stopped by Harris.
86′ Julie Ertz whips a ball towards the far post off a header, but an Orlando save keeps it from going into the back of the net.
90+5’ Casey Short at the death. The offense gets going thanks to a great run by Zoey Goralski. The ball goes out wide for Kerr who gets one last cross into the box. Short makes a terrific run and hits the ball with her head in stride and gets the game-winning goal for Chicago.
- Defender Casey Short is having a very productive season offensively. Her game-winning goal tonight was her second of the season and has three assists this season as well.
- In the 10th minute, Alyssa Naeher made history by playing her 10,000th NWSL minute. She becomes the second goalkeeper in league history to reach that accomplishment.
- Chicago dominated the game, outshooting Orlando 19-10, including eight Red Stars shots on goal compared to the Pride’s one.
- Julie Ertz was a ball hawk Wednesday night. She had a team-high 69 total passes and 81 touches.
- Sam Kerr’s third assist of the season puts her career total at 22. That is tied with fellow Red Star Vanessa DiBernardo for third all-time in NWSL assists.
The Red Stars play their final road game of the regular season on Sunday against Sky Blue FC. Kickoff from Yurcak Field is scheduled for 4pm CT. live on NBC Sports Chicago.
Orlando Pride vs Chicago Red Stars
September 11, 2019
Exploria Stadium (Orlando, FL)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Orlando Pride 0 0 0
Chicago Red Stars 0 1 1
CHI: Casey Short (Sam Kerr) 90+5’
ORL: Claire Emslie (Yellow Card) 24’
CHI: Katie Johnson (Yellow Card) 39’
CHI: Katie Johnson (Second Yellow Card) 64’
CHI: GK Naeher, D Gorden, D Ertz ©, D Davidson, D Short, M Stanton (McCaskill 67’), M Colaprico (Naughton 90+7’), M Brian, F Johnson, F Nagasato (Goralksi 90+2’), F Kerr
ORL: GK Harris ©, D Edmonds, D Zadorsky, D Greening, D Krieger, M Viggiano, M Kenndy, M Boyles Weatherholt 77’), F Hill (Evans 77’), F Camia (Elinsky 56’), F Emslie