CHICAGO – A late goal sinks the Chicago Red Stars in their 1-0 defeat to Reign FC. Jessica Fishlock found the back of the net in the 80th minute to put Reign FC up 1-0 and they hold on after a flurry of Red Star chances to grab the three points.
7’ Beverly Yanez receives a cross into the middle of the Red Stars box but her free header goes straight to Boyd who handles it cleanly.
16’ Savannah McCaskill is fouled in Reign FC’s half of the field to set up a free kick for Chicago. Off the set piece opportunity, she fired in a cross into a crowded penalty box but the defender headed the ball away from danger.
40’ McCaskill receives the ball, dribbles it towards the top of the box and shoots a rocket that’s only kept out by a great save from Murphy.
55’ Boyd makes a great save from close range. Reign FC worked the ball into the box and Yanez found herself with a one-on-one opportunity with Boyd and the Red Stars goalkeeper gets in a great position to stop a shot from point-blank range.
57’ The Red Stars come back with a close-range chance of their own. Johnson appears to get a touch on a dangerous cross into the box but Murphy clears the ball.
76’ Casey Short shows her hops and rises above the defenders to get her head to the ball off a corner kick, but the header is saved by Murphy.
80’ Onumonu off the wing dribbles into the Chicago penalty area and passes it to Fishlock in the middle who fires the ball past Boyd to give the visitors the lead.
93’ Short again leads the Chicago attack on one final effort to equalize. The defender crosses the ball into the box for Maria Sanchez who is able to get her head to it but it curls over the bar.
- Savannah McCaskill made her first appearance and start for Chicago after coming over in a trade with Sky Blue FC on Wednesday.
- Casey Short led the charge offensively with three key passes for the Red Stars. She also completed 78.1% of her total passes, second best on the team behind Michele Vasconcelos who came in as a second-half sub in the 60th minute.
- Vanessa DiBernardo, Yuki Nagasato, Katie Naughton and Michele Vasconcelos have played in all nine games for the Red Stars this season.
- Danielle Colaprico was crucial in the defensive role for the Red Stars in the midfield. She led the team with 4 tackles and won 85.7% of her duels.
- DiBernardo also made an impact on the defensive side of the ball, leading the team with 5 interceptions.
Chicago heads to the Sunshine State to take on the Orlando Pride on Sunday, June 30 at Orlando City Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 4 pm C.T.
Chicago Red Stars vs Reign FC
June 23, 2019
SeatGeek Stadium (Bridgeview, IL)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Chicago Red Stars 0 0 0
Reign FC 0 1 1
RFC: Jessica Fishlock (asst. Ifeoma Onumonu) 80’
CHI: Yellow Card, Stanton (28’)
RFC: Yellow Card, Barnes (90’)
RFC: GK Murphy, D Cox, D Barnes, D Oyster, D Theresa, M Proffitt, M Fishlock, M Yanez, F Onumonu, F Balcer (Westphal 87’), F Kelly (Steiner 68’)
CHI: GK Boyd, D Short, D Naughton, D Gorden, D Wright (Elby 75’), M Stanton (Vasconcelos 60’), M Colaprico, M DiBernardo ©, F McCaskill (Sanchez 83’), F Nagasato, F Johnson
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial.