CHICAGO – The Chicago Red Stars became the first team in the NWSL to reach nine wins this season thanks to Yuki Nagasato’s goal in the 1-0 victory over the Washington Spirit. Chicago’s defense locked down the opposing offense once again and with the help of three Alyssa Naeher saves the club kept their third consecutive clean sheet.
5’ A slick touch by Sam Kerr sets up Arin Wright with a scoring opportunity, but the Washington defense poked the ball away just before a shot is taken and the ball ends up in the hands of Aubrey Bledsoe.
8’ Chicago keeps knocking on the door. Casey Short delivers a dime of a long pass to Kerr who makes a great run and gets the tough shot off, but the ball ends up on the wrong side of the far post.
27’ Kerr picks out Wright who is open and takes a shot that is saved by Bledsoe, then Ertz gets a strike from distance off the rebound that just sneaks wide of the goal.
57’ Tierna Davidson whips a corner that falls to Wright, who volleys it inches above the crossbar.
60’ Washington’s Rose Lavelle send a dangerous into the box, but Naeher is there to punch the ball away and clear the danger.
65’ Chicago finds the breakthrough. For the second-consecutive week, Casey Short beats the defense and whips a cross into the box. Nagasato is there to leap over the defender and score the lone goal of the match.
- Wright made her 100th appearance for the Chicago Red Stars. She becomes the fourth player in team history to do so and the second to do so this season.
- Nagasato scored her fifth goal of the season, a new career-best for goals scored in a single season.
- Naeher had three saves and earned her second consecutive clean sheet this season and third overall in the 2019 season.
- Sarah Gorden was a ball hawk for the entire 90 minutes. The defender led Chicago in total touches (75), passes (66) and possessions gained (11).
- Despite playing a majority of the game as a forward, Wright still led the Red Stars in two defensive categories: tackles (5) and total duels (16).
Chicago continues their road trip with a visit to Yurcak Field to take on Sky Blue FC on Wednesday, August 14. Kickoff is scheduled for 6pm C.T. on NBSCH+ and streamed lived on Yahoo Sports.
Washington Spirit vs Chicago Red Stars
August 10, 2019
Maryland SoccerPlex (Boyd, MD)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Washington Spirit 0 0 0
Chicago Red Stars 0 1 1
CHI: Yuki Nagasato (Casey Short) 65’
WAS: Andi Sullivan (Yellow Card 13’), Rose Lavella (Yellow Card 64’)
CHI: Danielle Colaprico (Yellow Card 46’)
CHI: GK Naeher, D Short, D Naughton, D Gorden, D Davidson (McCaskill 72’), M Colaprico, M Ertz ©,, M DiBernardo, F Wright, F Nagasato (Elby 84’), F Kerr
WAS: GK Bledsoe, D Kellond-Knight (Farquason 83’), D Staab, D Sullivan, D Bailey, M Dougherty-Howard, M Lavelle, M DiBiasi, F Hatch, F Matthews (Crosson 70’), F Harrison (Ship 45’)
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial.