The Chicago Red Stars kick off their second away game of the 2019 NWSL season against Utah Royals FC (8:30 p.m. CT; NBC Sports Chicago) in an exciting matchup at Rio Tinto Stadium. Here is the Starting XI, presented by Magellan:
- Emily Boyd starts in the goal for the first time in 2019. The goalkeeper earned two starts last season in her rookie campaign and notched two shutouts for Chicago.
- Defender Casey Short earns her third consecutive start for the Red Stars. She scored the game winning goal in the last match after attacking down the right side of the field and chipping the Reign FC goalkeeper.
- Katie Naughton leads the team in minutes in 2019 with 270 total minutes. The central defender has been an anchor for Chicago since being drafted in the 2016 NWSL College Draft and will be appearing in her 65th game for the Red Stars.
- Sarah Gorden will start in her third game of 2019 and has been a key utility player for Chicago on the defensive line as she has seen time at central defender and outside back.
- Defender Arin Wright returns to the lineup after being on the injury report last week against Reign FC. The outside back will be playing in her 88th overall match for Chicago.
- Vanessa DiBernardo will make her first start of the 2019 season for Chicago and be the captain. The midfielder is appearing in her 98th match for the Red Stars, earning her 86th start.
- Danielle Colaprico has started every match for the Red Stars in 2019 and is completing nearly 70% of her passes this season. The veteran midfielder is climbing the ranks in games played as she earned her 90th appearance for Chicago in last week’s match.
- Player of the Week for Week 3 in the NWSL, Yuki Nagasato is coming off a major week that saw her score her third goal of the season and slot in her second assist. The Japanese international currently sits top-three in both goals and assists in the NWSL.
- Midfielder Alyssa Mautz returns to the starting eleven for Chicago and is earning her 122nd appearance for the club.
- Katie Johnson is set to earn her 45th appearance in the NWSL and has started the previous two matches for Chicago. The forward is managing an amazing 79% pass success rate, which is second highest on the team (min. of 90 minutes).
- Australian international Sam Kerr is earning her 95th start in the NWSL after just earning her 100th cap in the league on April 20. The forward has scored an astonishing 61 goals in the league, including two this season in just three games, all against 2018 playoff contenders.
- Michele Vasconcelos, Maria Sanchez, Kayla Sharples, Brooke Elby, Zoey Goralski, Nikki Stanton are available as field players off the bench for head coach Rory Dames and AJ Jahansouz will serve as backup goalkeeper.