CHICAGO – Chicago converted every penalty kick attempt in the shootout as the Red Stars defeated OL Reign to advance to the NWSL Challenge Cup semifinals. The Chicago Red Stars held OL Reign scoreless in regulation, with Alyssa Naeher making six saves on the night.
11’ – Katie Johnson’s curling shot attempt on goal to open up scoring early in the game hits the top of the crossbar, then bounces out of play.
30’ – Jess Fishlock looks to put OL Reign on top with a shot to the far post, but Alyssa Naeher makes a diving save.
58’ – Sofia Huerta’s header off of a corner kick instantly finds Naeher, who punches the ball away.
67’ – Kealia Watt makes an attacking run into the box of OL Reign, but pushes the shot just inches wide.
- Alyssa Naeher recorded six saves, her highest amount in the tournament.
- Rachel Hill had a pass accuracy of 81.3% and won 6 duels against OL Regin defenders.
- Julie Ertz played a key role in keeping the OL Reign attack at bay, recording a team-high in clearances (5) and recovering possession of the ball (8).
- The Red Stars had a team total of 15 tackles in the game, bringing their combined total to a Challenge Cup-leading 85. Vanessa DiBernardo led the way with three tackles, with three teammates ending the game with two and four more recording a tackle each. As a team, 50% of the tackles made in the game were by Chicago.
- The Red Stars won 50% of their duels along with 18 total clearances and 12 interceptions.
- In penalties, all four penalty takers converted as Julie Ertz, Vanessa DiBernardo, Kealia Watt and Rachel Hill found the back of the net in the penalty shootout to lead the Red Stars to the semifinals.
The Red Stars take on Sky Blue FC in the semifinal round of the NWSL Challenge Cup on Wednesday, July 22nd at 9 p.m. CT.
OL Reign vs Chicago Red Stars
July 18, 2020
Zions Bank Stadium (Herriman, UT)
Goals by Half 1 2 F PK
OL Reign 0 0 0 3
Chicago Red Stars 0 0 0 4
CHI: J. Ertz (PK), V. DiBernardo (PK), K. Watt (PK), R. Hill (PK)
OL: Y. Momiki (PK), D. Jenkins (PK), B. Balcer (PK)
CHI: GK Naeher, D St. Georges, D Ertz, D Gorden, D Short, M McCaskill (Stevens 72’, Doniak 77’), M DiBernardo, M Colaprico, F Watt, F Hill, F Johnson (Vasconcelos 72’)
OL: GK Murphy, D Barnes, D Brooks, D Cook, D Cox (Momiki 72’), M McNabb, M Fishlock (Balcer 67’), M Jenkins, M Cruz, M Huerta (Quinn 91’), F Taylor (Jimenez 72’)